It’s quite normal to get a little help when it comes to exercise & dieting, and often times that comes in the form of supplementation. By using the correct supplements you can gain all sorts of benefits such as more energy, strength, recovery, focus to push through till the end of every exercise, and much more.
Those of you who do CrossFit workouts know how important supplements can be for maximum output on the daily WOD. So, we have decided to shed some light on the best crossfit supplements on the market…
What are the absolute best supplements for CrossFit? We have conducted a ton of research, as well as many personal trials, in order to come up with the very best answers for you.
The information below is for crossfitters or similar athletes wanting to know more about supplementation to maximize your WODs. Along with a solid daily nutrition regimen, we feel you will get the most from your workouts by supplementing with the following products before, during, and/or after your workout. While there aren’t any official Crossfit supplements, you can find plenty of them out there for athletes and bodybuilders that work incredibly well for crossfitters too!
Our CrossFit Supplementation Guide
It’s nearly impossible to pinpoint exactly what are the truly best crossfit supplements because everyone has their own preferences, tolerances, needs, etc… but generally speaking we have found the following supplements to be about as good as it gets for the vast majority of CF athletes.
In my experience a good pre-workout supplement can work wonders. I’ve done the crossfit WODs in pretty much every which way possible. That includes doing nothing at all beforehand, having a good meal ahead of time, eating energy bars, drinking coffee for a caffeine boost, taking vitamins, and just about anything else I can think of to see what helps the most with getting me through the workouts at maximum effort.
However, by far, the best results have been with preworkout supplements. They sort of combine all the things I listed above individually to give a supercharged “beast mode” inducing workout. In my opinion they just can’t be topped for giving that extra energy, endurance, focus, strength, and drive needed to bust out a killer WOD at max levels of speed and power.
Below are some very popular options that we have narrowed down to our recommended top 3 best pre-workout supplements for people who do CrossFit. The first one is my personal favorite right now, and is one of the best pre-workout supplements I’ve ever taken, but all are good in their own ways and used by all sorts of athletes, bodybuilders, and elite crossfitters:
1) Jym: This Pre Workout by Jim Stoppani literally changed the supplement industry. Upon introduction JYM ushered in a new era of transparency and became known as the world’s first high-performance Pre-Workout supplement. I’ve been using it for over a year now and it is my favorite of ALL time!
2) Cellucor: C4 – There’s a reason C4 is consistently among the top preworkout supplements anywhere and has been for many years. You can’t really go wrong with this one. I am always switching it up to test different products but C4 is one I have gone back to again and again over the years simply because it works.
3) Beast Sports Nutrition: Beast Mode – This one is rising very quickly in the pre-workout market and seems to be especially popular among the CrossFit community. Their name alone makes them worth trying out. Obviously, we all want to go “Beast Mode” during our workouts!
Taking any one of the above pre-workout supplements before your crossfit WOD should give you the extra energy, drive, strength, and focus needed to power through even the most insane workout! You will be a straight up WODkilla!
* Protein Shakes – Post Workout / Recovery:
Protein powder shakes are undoubtedly one of the most popular supplements out there. These are typically considered a “post-workout supplement” for recovery but really you can (and should) use them anytime as they are regarded as one of the best dietary supplements of any kind for all sorts of different reasons.
You aren’t going to find find very many crossfit practitioners, bodybuilders, or athletes in general who aren’t supplementing their diet with some sort of protein. It is very important for many reasons, which include recovery, achieving maximum gains, and keeping your overall performance at a high level. Whey protein tends to be most popular among weight lifters and crossfit athletes, so I will stick with those types for the purposes of these recommendations.
Here are some of the best protein powder supplements we have found for crossfitters:
1) Optimum Nutrition: Gold Standard 100% Whey – This is one of the top selling & top rated protein products ever, and it is listed among the top protein supplements on just about every major fitness website. Yeah, it’s that good! It’s also the one I have taken nearly every day for the past 5 years.
2) MusclePharm: Combat Powder – One of my personal favorites just behind the ON Gold Standard Whey above.
3) BSN: Syntha-6 – One of the most popular and highly reviewed protein powder supps out there.
There are a ton of different whey protein powder supplements on the market but most of them are pure crap. If you go cheap on this you will be throwing away your money and getting no results! Get one of the high quality brands above if you actually want to reap any benefits from supplementing with protein for your crossfit training, recovery, or for any other reason.
* Intra-Workout Supplements:
These are designed for you to drink during your workout in order to help you stay hydrated, amplify muscle response, improve endurance, and increase your overall performance. They also help speed up recovery both during and after the workout. We have found them to work very well and consider them to be vital for our WOD’s now!
The best intra workout endurance supplements are great products for people who regularly train or compete in activities requiring stamina such as crossfit athletes, runners, bikers, triathletes, mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters, and many other sports. They are also a great option for professional, college and high school athletes competing in football, wrestling, soccer, basketball, track, cross country, and other sports or activities that demand endurance and proper hydration.
Here are 2 of the best intraworkout products that we have found on the market right now that are great for crossfit:
1) SciVation Xtend – I drink this one during every workout and LOVE it! I think it’s amazing and can testify that it works very well (at least for me). I see a sharp decline in performance every time I run out or forget to take it. My business partner says the same thing. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
2) Size On Max Performance – A hybrid intra-workout for those wishing to speed their recovery, build muscle mass, and increase performance. Haven’t used it, but it does get good reviews and ranks highly on many workout supplement sites.
Intra-Workout supplements are still relatively new in the world of sports and fitness, and therefore haven’t become quite as popular as the pre-workouts and post training proteins, so there aren’t as many solid options to choose from. However, they are certainly worth trying out. I definitely recommend drinking them during your CrossFit WOD’s.
* Testosterone Boosters for CrossFit:
We know, it’s been a long wait, but our findings for the best natural crossfit testosterone booster are finally in, and here they are…
1) Pro Testosterone – Insane muscle building, fat burning, energy increasing supplement that will full on give you maximum results!
2) Alpha JYM – The “JYM” line of supplements by Jim Stoppani are widely considered to be among the best out there right now and this is no exception. I’ve recently switched to alpha jym as my testosterone booster and I love it.
Other Supplements that are great for CrossFit and/or general health:
* Creatine – This has been around for quite a while and most people know it by now. It’s something that almost all serious athletes take in one form or another.
Whether it’s for crossfit, bodybuilding, sports performance training, or any other type of exercise and fitness, there are many benefits to using creatine supplements. Namely Creatine helps you lift more weight – both physically and mentally.
Yep, that’s right, it not only helps with your body, it’s also great for your mind! In addition to its well-known benefits for working out and increasing muscle mass, creatine has been shown to improve brain power as well. This makes the user feel great.
Creatine supplements are undoubtedly among the most popular supplements ever released to the world of weightlifting, sports, and workouts in general. It clearly has a positive effect on muscular strength and recovery, and has also been shown to help endurance.
All of those benefits are perfect for crossfitters and other athletes! This is a favorite among crossfit participants.
* Beta-Alanine – Great for combating fatigue with an energy burst to help you power through your workouts and get better performance.
* ZMA – A natural mineral supplement made up of zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6. May help athletes in several ways including the support of muscle health, your immune system, and sleep. Many male users say it also improves their sexual health.
* Fish Oil (Omega-3) – If you aren’t taking fish oil, you are really doing yourself a disservice! It helps to reduce the pain in joints and back after a workout as well as reducing body fat, building muscle, and much more. Read up on it, buy it, and take it daily. The benefits are plentiful.
* Amino Acids – Aid in the muscle recovery process, speed up muscle repair, and limit muscle breakdown to help promote muscle growth.
* Vitamin D – Will give you increased power output, optimized testosterone levels, and immunity enhancement.
* Multivitamin – We’ve all been told since little kids to take our vitamins and there’s plenty of good reasons for that. You are all grown up now, so shut up and take them!
Ultimately the right CrossFit supplements will depend on the needs of the person doing the workouts. Everybody is going to be different and have their own reasons for supplementation. This is why there is such a wide variety of choices.
The above mentioned products they have been tried, tested, and proven. However, you must keep in mind that not every supplement on the market will give the same results for each person. It’s impossible to create a one-size-fits-all when it comes to supplementation.
With that being said, we are confident that you will be amazed at how much better you perform in every CrossFit WOD after you get your diet right and take good supplements.
Of course, eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of sleep are also essential for maximum effectiveness from crossfit or any other type of workout routine.
Supplements are NOT a substitute for a healthy diet. So Make sure you are eating REAL food. This means grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, free-range chicken, organic or local fruits and vegetables, and plenty of good fats like avocados and coconut oil. Try sticking to “PALEO” as closely as you can, which is often referred to as the crossfit diet.
Most people rarely eat any of those things in their diet, so it does take some adjusting. But you will feel much better once your body gets rid of all the crap in the fast food and frozen dinners you have been eating!
Now, get out there and become the Rx workout dominator. You might just find yourself competing at the CrossFit Games before you know it!